Low Carb Mung Bean Sprouts Carbonara. Yes, you can have an Italian dinner this evening. No, you don’t need to go to the Olive Garden to get it. Pasta carbonara is one of the truly classic Italian dishes and it does not need to be made with high carby pasta. We are going to use mung bean sprouts instead and by the time we are finished, I doubt you will be able to tell much difference. Traditionally, carbonara does not have cream in it but no fear, it is really good and does make the meal more hearty. Hopefully you can find a good pancetta but if not, a good quality smoked bacon will work as a decent stand-in.
Low carb mung bean sprouts carbonara is an extremely low carb but more importantly, high fat recipe. This is keto at its best and in my humble opinion, very healthy trading about 50g carbs in a pasta for about 7g in sprouts so, the choice is yours. That big beautiful display of basil? I kid you not, I. Ate. It. All.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Lb Sprouts
- 10-12 Oz Pancetta Or Bacon
- ¾ C Heavy Cream
- ¼ C Water + More If Necessary
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 C Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ C Chopped Basil
- 1 t Chicken Base***
- Lots Of Freshly Ground Pepper
- Sauté bacon or pancetta in large pan then drain all but ¼ C fat. Set aside.
- Bring pot of water to just under boiling, dump in sprouts and simmer about 5-6 minutes or until just beginning to turn limp. Drain, reserving 1 C liquid.
- Mix heavy cream and egg yolks and add to reserved fat.
- Add ¼ C reserved water, Parmesan cheese, chicken base and heat.
- Add sprouts and bacon to heat.
- Add more water to desired consistency.
- Plate, garnish with basil, a little more cheese and tons of freshly ground pepper.
- 4 Servings
- 591 Calories, 28.9g Protein, 47.6g Fat, 8.4g Carbs, 1.6g Fiber, 6.8g Net Carbs