Low Carb Spinach Bhaji. Bhaji is a vegetable East Indian concoction and can be make with all kinds of various low carb vegetables, even mixing and matching 5 or 6 different veggies but the common theme is mostly garlic, cumin and garam marsala with the additional use of curry sometimes. I chose fresh spinach because of the ease of using it but you can also successfully use eggplant which only takes a tiny bit longer time to cook. It is not as pretty to look at but oh boy, eggplant sure is good too. Enjoy as this is not only easy, it is also very piquant. I served it with a mayo pork rind encrusted piece of Islandic Cod Fillet which had lots of lemon juice on it & which when mixed into the Bhaji and was divine.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 10-12 Oz Fresh Raw Spinach
- 1 Small Julienned Onion
- 3 T Butter Divided
- 1 t Crushed Garlic
- 1 t Ground Cumin
- 1 t Garam Marsala
- Add 1 T Butter to large pan on low heat. Add dry spinach, sprinkle with 2 T water, toss, cover & heat until spinach is just barely wilted-set aside. At this point you do not want any water in the spinach.
- Add 2 T butter to pan and barely saute onion-only until limp.
- To onions add garlic and cook a minute or two.
- Add cumin & garam marsala and saute another minute or so.
- Add back spinach and mix well.
- 4 Servings
- 99 Calories, 1.4g Protein, 8.7g Fat, 4.1g Carbs,1.5g Fiber, 2.6g Net Carbs