Low Carb Swiss Cream Steak. The recipe for this is taken from the American Heritage Cookbook 1969 Edition and my husband actually introduced it to me. It was love at first bite. There are lots of recipes on the internet using (ugh) cream of mushroom soup with various other ingredients but this is (almost) the original in that all I did was cut out the dredging in flour part. I don’t think mushrooms would be a bad addition, but anything other than mushrooms or daikon radishes would not work for me. Great over Cauliflower Grits
It is super simple and needs no tending until ready to serve.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 2-2½ Lbs Boneless Chuck Roast
- 4 Small Onions Sliced Very Thinly (Think Mandolin ⅛”)
- 2 T Butter
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 C Hot Water
- Beef Base To Taste (Don’t Be Timid)
- ½ C Sour Cream
- ½ C Parmesan Cheese
- Dried Marjoram To Completely Cover Both Sides Meat
- Sauté onions gently in butter & oil until pale yellow and put aside.
- Cover both sides of meat very generously with dried marjoram.
- Turn up heat and sear meat.
- Mix water with beef base, add sour cream and mix well, add parmesan cheese and mix again.
- Put onions on top of meat and gently pour liquid over onions.
- Turn heat to lowest setting, cover and cook until meat is falling apart tender-about 3-3½ hours.
- 6 Servings
- 600 Calories, 46.6g Protein, 8.2g Carbs, 2.0g Fiber, 6.2g Net Carbs
- Gravy is fabulous but thin and goes very well with mashed cauliflower under the meat.