Sometimes in the day-to-day humdrum of life it’s easy to forget some of the simpler ways to eat and a low carb steak salad might be one of them. It has everything in it with balanced, healthy meats, fats, and yes a few carbs sprinkled in because even lettuce has carbs. The Denver steak below is the same one I use for Chicken Fried Steak.
I eat this as a complete meal and it’s terrific for the warm days of summer and when the grilling of steaks happens frequently. Pretty easy to make your steaks a bit larger and have leftovers for a salad the next day. Steak, when reheated takes on a rather crummy taste and the beauty of this salad is that the meat is never reheated. I actually use Denver steak specifically for this and refrigerate it overnight, but that’s just me. As this recipe is a complete meal I suggest using at least 6 oz. of beef and more if you can eat it. The recipe is for one and may be multiplied as needed for more.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 6-7 Oz. Good Quality Steak ( Used Denver Steak)
- 3 C Chopped Romaine Lettuce
- ½ C Chunked Tomato (Cherry Tomatoes Work As Well)
- ½ Small Avocado Cut Into Chunks
- 1½ Oz Blue Cheese (Optional But Really Good)
- 3 T Olive Oil
- 1 T Lemon Juice
- 1 t Dijon Mustard
- 1 T Minced Shallots
- ½ t Garlic
- ¼ t Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- Dry sauté in hot pan or grill steak to desired doneness Rare to medium-rare is best.
- Toss lettuce, avocado & tomatoes in ⅔ of the dressing and plate.
- Put steak down and then blue cheese if using.
- Drizzle rest of dressing over meat & cheese.
- 1 Serving
- 896 Calories, 44.2g Protein, 72.5g Fat, 15.8g Carbs, 6.6g Fiber, 9.2g Net Carbs
- I use Denver steak because it has lots of fat laced in the meat (see picture) with no surrounding gristle.
- If you like a particular steak spice then by all means use it. Herbs? Of course.
- Denver steaks are not usually very large and you may need two of them to get to 6-7 oz. They are typically about ½" thick and cook very quickly so be sure to use a blazing hot pan if you are sautéing. The steak is self-basting.
- Avocado would be a really good addition and I would have used it but...didn't have one...and I ran to the store and now I do.