Low Carb Creamed Chicken And Spaghetti Squash Bake. There are several schools of thought on how to properly cook your spaghetti squash and the best one is the one that works for you. I have always cut mine and baked as shown in Spaghetti Squash 101. It is just what works for me and if you have a better way that works for you then by all means please use it.
Why I always pull my chicken or any other meat for that matter. Again it is that old surface area thing. USING SURFACE AREA TO YOUR ADVANTAGE More surface area=better flavor and pulling chicken allows whatever ingredients you are using to penetrate it inside and out. What better example of surface area than ice cream?
This dish is really kind of basic comfort food. It’s easy to make, easy to eat and if you have leftovers…easy to eat again.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Medium Cooked Spaghetti Squash (Maybe A Bit Undercooked As It Is Also Baked)
- 1 Whole Poached & Pulled Chicken (If You Gotta Poach 1 Why Not Poach 3 & Freeze The Rest?)
- ½ Medium Onion Small Diced Or Slivered
- 1 T Butter
- 1 Lb Mushrooms (Any Kind You Want)
- 3 T Butter
- 1 C Parmesan Cheese (Divided)
- 1 C Cheddar Cheese (Divided)
- 1½ C Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 C Heavy Cream
- ½ C Chopped Roasted Red Pepper (For Color)
- ¼ C Minced Green Onion Tops (For Flavor & Color)
- 1 T Chicken Base
- 2 T Dry White Wine (For Depth of Flavor-Optional)
- 2 t Porcini Dust
- 1 t Poultry Seasoning (Not Necessary But Tasty)
- ½ t Nutmeg
- ¾ t Pepper
- More seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Cook squash by preferred method.
- Butter a large glass baking dish.
- Pick chicken. If you have kids this is something they can help with. (If ya trust ‘em)
- Sauté onions in butter. Set aside
- Sauté mushrooms in butter. Set aside.
- Heat heavy cream, add chicken base, porcini dust, wine, poultry seasoning, nutmeg, & pepper and reduce just slightly as it will thicken as it bakes.
- Combine squash & ½ C cheddar cheese, with ¾ C cream, and line your buttered dish.
- In large bowl combine pulled chicken ½ C cheddar cheese, ¼ C Parmesan, peppers, & green onions, mushrooms, and onions.
- Pour rest of heavy cream over chicken & mix thoroughly.
- Spoon chicken over squash, cover with mozzarella cheese & sprinkle rest of Parmesan over the top.
- Cover and bake 35-40 minutes.
- If you like crispier cheese, turn heat to 350°, uncover, and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or…broil a couple of minutes.
- 8 Servings
- 646 Calories, 38g Protein, 6.4g Carbs, .6g Fiber, 5.9 Net Carbs
- I do not use any garlic in this but if you want to by all means use it and this will essentially make it an Alfredo.
- Replace the chicken with pulled pork or shrimp. Live a little but laugh a lot.