Low Carb Cream Cheese Chicken Burrito. I was messin around in my kitchen one day and this idea just came to me. I don’t necessarily like most of the spices that go into burritos, and beans & rice as filler have always been a turn off, and hamburger…in a burrito…no thank you. It is my opinion that you are paying (per pound) a whole lot of money for beans & rice.
I have always picked my own chicken, portioned it, and frozen it for later use. I asked myself what would I actually like with chicken in a burrito and this low carb cream cheese chicken burrito is the culmination of my fiddling around.
Now in the old days I did wrap them in a flour tortilla but not anymore. Just as you can have a Hamburger My Way, you can do the same thing with a burrito.
I began serving these in the restaurant as a luncheon special and people loved them. This is a terrific example of FUTURE COOKING. It is just as easy to poach 3 chickens as it is to poach one so you can make 12-15 burritos at once, wrap, and then freeze them and I always have these on hand for a quick no-brainer dinner and at my age, there are days I have no brains.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 4 C Picked Shredded Chicken
- ¼ C Medium Picante Sauce
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese
- 4 Oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 t Salt
- ½ t Pepper
- 4 Oz More Cheddar Cheese
- 4 T. More Medium Picante Sauce
- Shredded Lettuce
- 4 T Sour Cream
- Either pick a whole poached chicken, buy a rotisserie chicken and pick that, buy bone-in thighs & breasts, and as a last resort buy already shredded chicken which will not be nearly as tender or tasty as what you poach yourself.
- Beat cream cheese and add picante and spices.
- Add grated cheese & cream cheese mixture to shredded chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Divide into 4 portions. If you have little ones give them smaller “burritos” and give yourselves bigger ones.
- Shape them like a burrito in middle of a plate and top each one with an ounce of cheese. Nuke on medium until the cheese melts. Top with another T of picante, lettuce and a dollop of sour cream. Wahoo these are good.
- 4 Servings
- 587 Calories, 54.2 Protein, 39.5g Fat, 3.7 Carbs, 0 Fiber, 3.7 Net Carbs
- If you are going to poach your own why not do two or three chicks at a time? These burritos freeze beautifully and are a quick dinner in a hurry when you don’t have anything planned or the next time you want them. I poach my own because it gives me by far the tenderest chicken I (you) will ever eat. It takes a while to poach them but you can be doing other things meanwhile.
- To poach a whole chicken or even pieces, submerge in COLD water and slowly bring to 180 degrees or to just below simmer. A few bubbles are OK but under no circumstances do you want even a slow boil. Poach until cooked. When the pieces float they will be done and if you are not ready to pick them, leave them in the water and take them off the heat. If poached properly a whole chicken should take about 4 hours and pieces somewhat less.
- This is for one whole poached chicken (approximately 4 cups) and you can multiple as you wish.
- If you want it a bit spicier, add hot picante or a bit of chipotle powder.
- For every 4 lb chicken I figure 4-5 burritos and these puppies weigh in at about 9 oz. each so they are plenty big and I guarantee when you are finished you will not remember that you did not eat a tortilla.