Low Carb Mexican Cheese Taco Salad. You are looking at is a tortilla shell made completely out of cheddar cheese and it is the base of this Mexican salad. Once you have made the “tortillas” you are home free. The rest of the ingredients are simple enough and easy to find. Not only is this pretty simple to make it is also a great visual mix of colors. If you want to use my recipe for Creamy Avocado Dip which will add a taste of cilantro it won’t hurt my feelings any, but Guacamole is certainly just as good. The recipe is for one person so if you are making this for more than two people the cheese tortillas can be made ahead and filled later. For that full Mexican experience with your low carb Mexican cheese taco salad you may want to add Mexican Cornbread as a side to your salad.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are keto-low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Cheese Tortilla Made With 2½ Oz. Grated Cheddar Cheese (Or Your Choice)
- Good Size Handful Of Torn Lettuce Greens
- ¼ Lb. Pulled Chicken Meat
- ⅓ C Diced Tomatoes
- ½ Diced Avocado
- 2 T Chopped Black Olives
- 2 T Chopped Green Onion Tops
- 2 T Minced Red Onion
- 1 Oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 3 T Salsa Or Picante Sauce
- 2 T Sour Cream
- 2 T Creamy Avocado Dip Or Guacamole
- Begin heating a medium size non-stick skillet and sprinkle the grated cheese evenly on bottom letting it go for awhile. It will begin to bubble all over and continue to cook until it begins to hold its structure at the edges. Let it cook another 2-3 minutes. You should end up with about 2 t of cheese oil and you can drain this off before forming into the bowl or...drizzle in on your lettuce.
- Working quickly and expecting it to be very hot put into bowl pushing to form a center dish. (Indentation) The tortilla will cool very quickly. If you fail at this the first time all is not lost. Just leave it in the bowl and nuke it for 30 seconds and it will soften again enough to form it.
- Put lettuce on bottom, chicken next and kind of start layering upward. Drizzle salsa over salad and top with dollops of sour cream and guacamole.
- 1 Serving
- 761 Calories, 58.5g Protein, 52.8g Fat, 14.3g Carbs, 4.1g Fiber, 10.2g Net Carbs
- This is a substantial all in one meal.
- This is the first recipe I have listed fat grams and I will continue to do so. You can see I am not kidding when I say my recipes are high fat. This one is 62%.
- Personally I like a couple tablespoons of chopped pickled jalapeno peppers to zip things up a little.