Low Carb Yogurt Walnut Dip. Another Middle Eastern food dish at its best. A friend from Dubai was staying with me for several weeks. One day we got in the kitchen and made 3 dishes and this low carb yogurt walnut dip was one of them. In the Middle East it is customary to eat communally and not uncommon for there to be many smaller dishes in which everyone at the table gets only 2-3-4 bites of 7-8-9 different foods. It is an absolutely lovely way to eat and…you get to taste many foods at one sitting. Each woman is complimented on not only how good the food tastes but how beautifully it is decorated. The plate was a gift and I am now using it a lot. My first thought when I saw it was; holy smokes, it has such a busy pattern you won’t be able to see the food. You can see what a dufus I am. Not only does the food look great, it is enhanced by the plate and seriously how in heaven’s name would I know more than centuries of women before me. Duh. The one slice of bread is a piece of my Low Carb Carbalose Bread. I was out of my own Low Carb Yogurt the day I made this and which is why I used the labne.
It is also customary to have more food than the numbers of people are able to eat so you can imagine the leftovers which…are eaten the following morning and then into the next meal and so it goes, on and on. The people are incensed when there is not enough food so I guess as they say;: Better Safe Than Sorry. Not our custom here in the US but, I don’t think we necessarily have a corner on anything.
The ingredients are simple and the taste is complex. That pepper sauce you see is Aleppo Pepper and…as this is already too long, its description is told in the Red Pepper Walnut Relish.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use***
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- ¾ C Full Fat Yogurt (Or Labne If You Can Get It)
- 6 T Toasted Small Chopped Walnuts (Divided)
- 2 T Aleppo Pepper Paste
- ¼ t Salt
- ⅛ t Crushed Garlic Paste***
- 2-3 T Olive Oil
- Toast chopped walnuts.
- In medium bowl mix yogurt, red pepper paste, salt, garlic, and 5 T walnuts.
- Smear on serving plate and place last T walnuts in center.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Serve with plate of low carb veggies and bread if using.
- 6 Servings
- 144 Calories, 2.2g Protein, 14.9g Fat, 2.4g Carbs, 0.6g Fiber, 1.8g Net Carbs
- Please do take the time to toast the walnuts as it makes a huge difference in the end product.
- I doubt you have access to Aleppo Pepper Paste and a really good substitute is Ancho Chile Powder with a bit of salt. It has about the same heat profile (not hot).
- If you do end up with the chili powder add two parts powder to one part water or olive oil, mix, and allow to sit until it thickens. Include a bit more salt in the recipe as Aleppo pepper is dried with salt.
- Recipe easily doubles.