Low Carb Umami Mayo. Mine has just four ingredients and two of them are what I believe to be two of the most powerful umami flavors available without the use of MSG. Many of us may have heard the word umami and maybe not understand what exactly it means. Well join the club. I want you to know I do not, nor have I ever, had a problem with using MSG. It occurs in nature including cheese, tomatoes, grapes, and mushrooms to name just a few so…you have probably eaten it in small amounts your whole life and most likely not known it. It is in fruits, vegetables, fowl, meats and fish. There is enough crap on the internet to fill a book and wad a shotgun about MSG and in my humble opinion much of it is bunk. As I have always understood it, MSG does nothing to “flavor” food, it affects your taste buds. If you want to test it take ¼ C of water and put a pinch of MSG in it. As we know, water doesn’t have much flavor to it but a small pinch of MSG will give it a taste. Add more-more taste. Wait several minutes and your taste buds with continue with the effects of the MSG long after you have stopped drinking flavorless water. Often, the term “natural flavor” refers to ingredients containing MSG so when you see it in print on some crappy food packaging you may be looking at it referring to MSG. I found this interesting article via Twitter on Food Facts the other day and it is well worth reading.
Here is a short list of products using the term “natural flavor” and I’m betting there would be lots less people claiming to be allergic to MSG if they realized how ubiquitous it is in packaged foods.
1.Doritos, 2. KFC Fried Chicken, 3. Pringles, 4. Hidden Valley Ranch, 5. Seaweed Salad, 6. Cheetos 7. Boars Head Cold Cuts, 8. Parmesan Cheese, 9. Gravy, 10. Protein Powders, 11. Pepperoni, 12. Popcorn, 13. Potato Chips.
The best thing about this umami mayo is: it’s zero carb and…high fat and…it is good with so many things. It is fabulous as a dip with zero carb pork skins or low carb crudité veggies, and wonderful on a hamburger. You will need Umami Powder to make this four ingredient recipe and of course you can add any other herbs or spices you want to. The sky’s the limit baby.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 C Mayonnaise
- 1 t Umami Powder
- ½ t Five Spice Powder
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- 8 Servings
- 200 Calories, 0.0g Protein, 24.0g Fat, 0.0g Carbs, 0.0g Fiber, 0.0g Net Carbs
- 4 Servings
- 400 Calories, 0.0g Protein, 48.0g Fat, 0.0g Carbs, 0.0g Fiber, 0.0g Net Carbs
- Don't think you can just pig out on this mayo because it you try you, may(o) get way too full. The fat content is very high and along with that comes a high satiety level. Oh, you may be able to eat more than ¼ cup of it but...you won't eat much more for at least several hours.
- Taste before adding any other herbs or spices and if you really think it needs more then go for the gusto. If you love the flavors as is, you can add ¼ t of both powders but I would let it sit in the fridge for several hours before adding more.