Low Carb Spaghetti Squash With Traditional Tomato Sauce. This is about as low carb as you can make spaghetti squash with tomato sauce. Tomatoes, if using enough to make a sauce, inherently have carbs and for that matter so does spaghetti squash. I do not eat this often nor do I eat any more than one serving but it is so, so good. One half order actually makes a very nice dinner side accompaniment. The sauce is also very good on Spaetzle.
Another great addition to this basic recipe is one of these wonderful Large Meatballs.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 2¼ C Cooked Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Can Diced or Crushed Tomatoes (I Use Diced-I Like It Chunky)
- ½ C Slivered Onions
- ½ C Sauteed Mushrooms
- ½ C Water
- 2 T Good Red Wine
- 1 t Crushed Garlic
- 1 t Dried Italian Herbs
- ¼ t Dried Basil
- ½ t Salt
- ¼ t Pepper
- Sprinkled Guar Gum (Trust Me It Doesn't Take Much)
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 2 T Parmesan Cheese
- Excluding squash dump first 10 ingredients in sauce pan, cover and bring to very low simmer for at least an hour and/or until onions are totally translucent.
- Sprinkle a very tiny amount guar gum to thicken sauce. (I use an old salt shaker)
- Top squash with sauce, drizzle with 1 T olive oil, & sprinkle with 1 T Parmesan cheese.
- Eat it up.
- 2 Servings
- 225 Calories, 2.5g Protein, 22.3g Carbs, 5.0g Fiber, 17.3g Net Carbs
- 4 Servings
- 113 Calories 1.25g Protein, 11.2g Carbs, 2.5g Fiber, 8.7g Net Carbs
- To extend this dish a bit add ¼ lb. hamburger to sauce or top with meatballs which will add no additional carbs.