Low Carb Sloppy Piggy. We of course all know what a sloppy joe is and we know that it is made with ground beef. But what the heck is a sloppy piggy? Not really so different from its cousin the joe but this is made with pulled pork. One of my childhood remembrances was eating sloppy joes and my mom didn’t care that we got dirty. Let’s face it, most times your mom does care when you get dirty, and I actually used to eat dirt…but she never knew…or did she?
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Lb Pulled Pork Chopped Into Smaller Threads
- ¼ C Butter (I Use Lard)
- 1½ C Yellow Pepper (Any Color Can Be Used But Yellow Is A Good Contrast-Sort Of)
- 1 C Finely Diced Onion
- 1 t Crushed Garlic
- 1 Cn Crushed Tomatoes (Diced Will Work As Well)
- 1 T Tomato Paste
- Water To Thin As Necessary (Start With ½ C)
- 3 T White Vinegar
- 2 t Mustard
- 1 T Just Like Sugar Brown (Optional And I Did Not Use It)
- 1 T Paprika
- 1 t Cumin
- 1½ t Salt (More To Taste)
- 1 t Pepper
- Large Lettuce Pieces (Romaine) To Plop (Slop) Your Piggy On
- Heat oil to medium-low, add peppers & onions and cook until soft.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, mustard and simmer to mix and heat.
- Add rest of ingredients, mix and lastly add pulled pork to heat.
- Plate on lettuce leaves (or not)
- 4 Servings
- 457 Calories, 30.2g Protein, 20.1g Fat, 11.1 g Carbs, 2.4g Fiber, 8.7g Net Carbs
- You will probably be surprised how much water this will use, especially after you mix in the pork. I actually use pulled pork to thicken several of the recipes on the site.
- I think 1 t of liquid smoke would be really good in this.
- You do not need any lettuce leaves especially if you don’t have them. Just slop piggies on the plates and enjoy.
- I also used salt and pepper on my lettuce.