Low Carb Shrimp & Grits. Shrimp and grits began as a simple low country southern dish. Shrimp was plentiful and so was hominy. It has been refined over the years and has now become a staple on Southern tables and restaurants everywhere but really took off in the mid 1980’s when Chef Bill Neal brought it to new heights. Mine is no different and only a reminder that there are low carb versions of almost anything. I have to say that I just happen to like my own low carb version best. We (at least I) pretty much eat low carb shrimp & grits for dinner but it was originally eaten as a big hearty breakfast before going out to a day of fishing. It make’s sense to use the bacon grease instead of draining it and then using seed oil and in fact I have not had a seed oil in my house for 9 years and it makes me sick to think I, like most everyone, believed the poison for so many years.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Lb Large Shelled Shrimp
- 1 Head Riced Cauliflower
- ½ Lb Bacon
- ½ C Minced Onions
- 4 Oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ C Heavy Cream
- Water To Consistency
- 2 T Lemon Juice
- 2 t Crushed Garlic***
- 2 t Chicken Base***
- ¼ C Green Onion Tops
- Salt & Pepper Only If Needed
- Old Bay (Optional & I Did Not Use It)
- Parmesan Cheese (Optional & I Did Not Use It)
- Cut bacon into small pieces & cook to render fat. Leaving fat in pan, remove bacon & set aside.
- Remove enough fat (2-3 T) to a separate skillet to sauté shrimp.
- Add onion to remaining fat and cook until translucent then add in cauliflower, heavy cream, chicken base, and bacon & cook until tender. (5-6-7 minutes).
- Remove from heat, blend in cheese and add enough water, if needed, to bring to creamy consistency.
- Sauté shrimp in bacon fat, adding crushed garlic and lemon juice.
- Put grits into bowl, arrange shrimp and sprinkle with green onions.
- 4 Servings
- 582 Calories, 41.8g Protein, 40.5g Fat, 12.7g Carbs, 4.4g Fiber, 8.3g Net Carbs