Low Carb Onion Fennel Mushroom Soup. Ya know this may not be the most the most beautiful soup in the world but the taste and flavor more than makes up its lack of looks. I have probably made thousands of gallons of soup in my day and there are soups that people seem to order over and over-this was always one of them. At least for me soups are one of the things I can make in my sleep as they mostly are just prep work and time and this is not much different. If you have a large family or want leftovers this recipe can easily be doubled and beyond. As far as I know it, most soups are better the next day anyway. Served with one of the myriad Salads on this sight you have a complete meal. The beautiful sheen on the surface of the soup are tiny drops of oil. If you happen to be a fan of fennel anything then this Cream Of Fennel Soup is just terrific.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- ⅓ Olive Oil (Divided)
- 1-2 Bulbs Fennel (Depending on Size) Sliced Very Thinly
- 1 Onion Sliced Very Thinly
- 1 Lb Mixed Sliced Mushrooms (Button, Cremini, Shiitake)
- 2 t Crushed Garlic
- 1 t Porcini Dust
- 8-9 C Beef Stock (Chicken Stock Works As Well)
- ⅓ C White Wine
- 6 T Sour Cream (To Top And Optional)
- Salt & Pepper To Taste If Necessary
- Heat 2 T oil and slowly caramelize onions and fennel until golden brown-About 45 minutes. Add wine, garlic, & porcini dust and simmer 2-3 minutes. Set Aside.
- Heat remaining oil to med-high and sauté mushrooms.
- Put broth into a 3 qt. stock pot and combine all ingredients. Heat to serving temperature.
- Only use salt & pepper as necessary and you probably shouldn't need it.
- 6 Servings
- 165 Calories, 2.2g Protein, 13.7g Fat, 7.6g Carbs, 2.2g Fiber, 5.4g Net Carbs
- 8 Servings
- 124 Calories, 1.6g Protein, 10.3g Fat, 5.7g Carbs, 1.6g Fiber, 4.1g Net Carbs
- Save a little of the top fennel fronds for garnish.
- I am not wed to olive oil to sauté veggies in. Either smaltz (chick fat) or tallow work just as well.
- I doubt anyone would fault the cook for adding any meat like...pulled beef or pulled pork.