Low Carb Macaroni And Cheese. This is a no messin around real Macaroni & Cheese with real low carb pasta. You will need a recipe of low carb Spaetzle as your pasta and this should yield about 3 cups. This is a super easy recipe to make including the Spaetzle. If you want to gild your lily put a recipe of Au Gratin Casserole Topping on top. This will add 1.5g net carbs per serving.
I use Gruyere cheese in mine but of course any good cheddar, Swiss or combination of cheeses will work. If you can’t tell from some of my other recipes; Gruyere is definitely my cheese of choice. My husband says I use too much of it (and yes, it is expensive) and I have to keep telling him to get over it. I also happen to like a really creamy mac & cheese and if you don’t then use ½ C less cream. Sprinkle some crumbled bacon on and Ooh La La.
This is extremely filling due to its high fat content.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Recipe Spaetzle
- 2 T Butter
- 1⅔ C Heavy Cream
- 2 t Mustard Powder
- 2 t Chicken Base
- ½ t Pepper
- ½ t Paprika
- 1 C Grated Cheese (About 3 oz)
- 2 T Parmesan Cheese
- Sauté spaetzle in butter until golden brown spots begin to appear. Take out of skillet, put in 6"x6" casserole dish, and sprinkle with cheese.
- On medium, begin heating heavy cream, add mustard, chicken base, pepper, & paprika and thicken slightly.
- Pour over pasta, top with Parmesan and bake in 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- If you opt to top with bread crumbs put them on before baking and omit the Parmesan.
- 6 Servings
- 434 Calories, 12.1g Protein, 10.4g Carbs, 3.2g Fiber, 7.2g Net Carbs
- This is how I do it if I'm heating it later. I microwave everything on low until just warm. This way the cheese does not curdle and it takes far less time to cook overall.
- OK, now you can mess around a bit. You can add tuna or anything you want before you begin heating this dish and it will probably take an extra ¼ C of cream.
- If you like a crustier mac & cheese save some cheese for topping.
- Recipe easily doubles or triples.