Low Carb Italian Coleslaw. Most of my friends are pretty old now cause uh…I’m old. An old friend of mine ask me to please witness her medical advanced directives and so, along with another old woman we know, we took an afternoon to get this taken care of. We ducked into some “food joint” that Libby knew of because she had not eaten lunch and wanted a tuna sandwich. They had some coleslawy looking stuff in the case, I ask what it was, and the girl said it really didn’t have a name but they just called it Italian Coleslaw. I asked if they made it, did it have sugar in it, and what else was in it and she told me yes they made it, no to sugar and that it had ham and salami-hence the name Italian Coleslaw. Well, it didn’t even taste like coleslaw let alone Italian. Hard to explain but it was…tasteless…so…I set out to make my own because I liked the idea of it. Since I live in a big city with many local butcher shops I knew I could get good ham and salami and I do know how to use spices so here ya go. Not only does it taste great, it is really easy to make and sugar-free.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Small Cabbage Head Or About 1½-1¾ Lbs
- 8 Oz Good Quality Ham Shaved (If You Can Get It)
- 8 Oz Good Quality Salami Shaved (If You Can Get It)
- 1 C Mayonnaise+More As Needed
- 2½-3 t Finely Ground Italian Herbs+(More To Taste)
- ¼ t Salt+(More To Taste)
- ¼ t Pepper =+(More To Taste)
- Shred cabbage as finely as possible and a mandoline is perfect for the job.
- Dice ham and salami into smaller than bite size pieces.
- Mix salt, pepper, and Italian herbs into mayo.
- Mix ham & salami into cabbage and dress with mayo, mixing well.
- 12 Servings
- 215 Calories, 10.5g Protein, 18.4g Fat, 3.6g Carbs, 1.8g Fiber, 1.8g Net Carbs
- 10 Servings
- 258 Calories, 12.6g Protein, 22.1g Fat, 4.3g Carbs, 2.2g Fiber, 2.1g Net Carbs
- As this sits in the fridge the mayo will soak into it so you might need more than you think.
- This will very much taste Italian.
- If you opt to use any precut meats that are not shaved, then cut your pieces into smaller that bite-size.
- Notice the fat surrounding the ham and in the salami. It all went into the coleslaw which gives it a great mouthfeel.
- If wanted please, make adjustments to meats, herbs etc. and make it your own.