Low Carb Hot Crossed Meatloaf. Have you heard of hot cross buns? Well, this is my version of Hot Crossed Meatloaf. That beautiful bacon is courtesy of Ben Meyer butcher/owner of The Old Salt Marketplace restaurant here in Portland and right down the street from me. You won’t know this but I took a pig butchery class and my partner (lucky me) was Ben. I have, over the last several years, become more and more dependent on getting my meats from their butcher shop. I can’t begin to count the times I have had dinner with friends there and I have NEVER had anything that wasn’t to die for good. Their jowl bacon?-don’t even get me started. I had the bacon custom cut to ¼ inch thick and actually finished it with my torch. Whoa, what flavor. You will probably finish yours under the broiler but torched? Oh boy is it good.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- ½ Lb 20% Hamburger
- ½ Lb Ground Pork
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup Minced Onion
- ¼ C 40% Heavy Cream
- ¼ C Water
- 1 T Garlic Salt
- 1 t Salt
- ½ t Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix egg, onion, heavy cream, water and spices in a bowl.
- Sprinkle in both meats and mix thoroughly.
- Mound the meat mixture into a 1½”x7” round pan. (Square will work as well)
- Begin tucking one piece of bacon, then another until you have what looks like a spoked wheel.
- Put into oven and bake 30-35 minutes.
- Your bacon may not be crisp and if not, turn on the broiler and broil until you get desired crispness.
- 4 Servings
- 453 Calories, 34.0g Protein, 32.4g Fat, 2.1g Carbs, .4g Fiber, 1.7g Net Carbs