Low Carb Gingerbread Waffles. So the other day I made a half recipe of Gingerbread and as you can see from the picture it didn’t turn out so well as I under-cooked it. Well, when life gives you lemons I say make Gingerbread Waffles. The first thing I did was scoop out the center, drown it in heavy cream and ate it as kind of a gingerbread pudding. Gads, it was really good.
I’m thinking to myself that maybe, with a few minor alterations to the original recipe, I could make a waffle batter out of it. Well, well, it worked just beautifully. A few crunchy toasted nuts, tons of butter, some Sugar-Free Maple Syrup and I have to say these Gingerbread Waffles are terrific. Just eat for the number of people in your family and freeze the rest for another time. They are not super crispy since there is no white flour in them but they are quite tender and with the addition of toasted nuts you get that crunch you may be looking for. I have put this recipe under the Entrées Category and seriously they can be eaten for breakfast and also be used as a dessert with whipped cream. If you have babies, break one of these low carb gingerbread waffles into 4 pieces, give it to them dry , and let ’em make a mess.
If you don’t care about that deep dark color that you get from molasses you can add a couple more tablespoons of Just Like Sugar Brown, forget the molasses, and subtract 5g carbs which is not an insignificant number.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 4 Eggs
- 4 T Melted Butter
- ½ C Just Like Sugar Brown***
- 2 T Heavy Cream
- 2 T Sour Cream
- 1 T Molasses
- 1 C Almond Flour
- 6 T Coconut Flour
- 1 T Powdered Ginger
- ½ T Baking Powder
- ½ T Cinnamon
- 1 t Baking Soda
- ½ t Nutmeg
- ¼ t Powdered Cloves
- ¼ t Guar Gum
- ¼ t Xanthan Gum
- Preheat waffle iron to high.
- When you are ready to make your first waffle swab the iron with coconut oil.
- Beat eggs, then beat in molasses, Just Like Sugar, heavy cream, sour cream and melted butter.
- Mix dry ingredients, add wet to dry and blend well.
- Let batter rest for a 1-2 minutes.
- Using a large scoop, or about ½ C put batter in the middle of your waffle maker and spread around leaving about a 1½ inch border.
- Don't try to open waffle iron until green light says it's ready.
- 5-6 Waffles
- 296 Calories, 9.5g Protein, 22.9g Fat, 13.0g Carbs 5.4g Fiber, 7.6g Net Carbs
- I added toasted walnuts but pecans are terrific too. You could add low carb fruit but I think the flavor of the waffle might over power any fruit you may use.
- If you compare this to an average 6" waffle the carb count is about one third and even less without the molasses.