Low Carb Fish Tostadas Atop Cheese Crisps. Thought perhaps while I was making the Seafood Cerviche with all its wonderful fruits de mar it might be nice to make a this companion recipe and instead of using high carby tortillas I would make them with fried cheese crisps. Pretty cool huh? Now a lot of tostadas recipes call for some kind of slaw but you know what, I think slaw on a tostada is just a filler for other wonderful things you can put on them. You will need Crème Fraîche or sour cream to finish.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 8 Oz Grated cheddar Cheese
- 1 Lb Fresh White Fish (Tilapia Is Easiest And Least Expensive)
- 3 Juiced Limes
- 2 Small Jalapeno Peppers Very Finely Diced
- ½ C Small Diced Tomatoes
- ½ C Minced Cilantro
- ¼ C Thinly Sliced Purple Onions
- ¼ C Small Diced Orange Pepper
- 2 T Minced Green Onions
- ¼ C Guacamole (Either What You Make Or Your Favorite Store Bought)
- ¼ C Crème Fraîche (Or Sour Cream)
- The picture to the right doesn’t look like these directions so please pay attention as I think this will be better. I made ½ oz. crisps in the oven and ended up having not only to use two of them stacked but...they just were not large enough and as you can see they make perfect appetizers. I remade and retook the correct picture which is the one to the left.
- Heat a 7” bottomed sauté pan to medium low, sprinkle in 2 oz. of cheese to cover bottom, and slowly cook until bubbly and crisp releases.
- Remove quickly from pan onto a flat surface to cool and parchment paper works perfectly. Repeat 3 times.
- Cut fish into ½” cubes and put into lime juice for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally and when ready to use drain the lime juice.
- Mince and chop all vegetables.
- To assemble your tostadas put down cheese crisp, then fish. Artfully place vegetables and guacamole, finishing with the crème fraîche. You will not actually need Mexican crema which is simply crème fraîche with lime juice. You will get plenty, plenty of lime flavor with/from your fish.
- 4 Servings
- 418 Calories, 39.5g Protein, 26.7g Fat, 8.2g Carbs, 2.3g Fiber, 5.9g Net Carbs
- Make your crisps ahead of time if wanted. If you live in a dry area (I do not) they will be OK on the counter. Otherwise gently stack, plate uncovered, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- If you have never made crème fraîche please, please at least look at the recipe as it is ridiculously easy to make and store.
- But as everyone else says you can also use sour cream and rest assured they are not the same.