Low Carb Cheese Fondue. I know, I know. Cheese Fondue is so 60’s but it doesn’t mean it isn’t tasty and this is so, so easy to make. If you serve it to anyone under the age of 40 they may never have heard of fondue let alone eaten it, so you can dazzle them and personally I can make this a complete meal with sausage & vegetables or…it makes a fabulous sauce over broccoli.
This is the recipe from the Rheinlander German restaurant here in Portland in my neighborhood and it is always what I order when I go there.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Lb Gruyere Cheese (Or Swiss)
- 1 C Dry White Wine
- 1 T Corn Starch
- ½ t Crushed Garlic
- ¼ t White Pepper
- ¼ t Cayenne Pepper
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Cut off any rind as it will not melt and then grate cheese.
- In a stainless steel saucepan, very slowly simmer white wine, garlic, nutmeg, white pepper and cayenne pepper for approximately 4-5 minutes to reduce wine and let a little alcohol cook out.
- Thoroughly toss corn starch into grated cheese.
- Take wine off heat, add cheese, and beat with a whip until completely melted. Do not boil, just let it melt. If not completely melted alternately put on and take off heat until it does.
- If too thick, add more wine. If too thin, add more cheese. The consistency of the fondue should coat sausage or vegetables evenly when dipped into mixture.
- If you have a fondue pot all the better (and I do not) otherwise serve immediately in individual ramekins.
- Serve with any good sausage or vegetables.
- 6 Servings
- 398 Calories, 22.7g Protein, 2.4g Carbs, 0g Fiber, 2.4g Net Carbs
- Serve with chunks of sausage and/or your favorite low carb vegetables.