Low Carb Carbalose Flour Vegetable Pig In A Poke. This is not much to look at but boy oh boy it sure is tasty. Of course it is good for breakfast, especially if you have kids to feed, but many times I feel like eating breakfast for dinner. Vegetable Pig In A Poke is pretty much a complete meal and so low in carbs you can “Pig” out on it. Last August when I returned to Ohio for my 50th (yes, that’s a big 50 and I am getting old) class reunion my hostess Karen made and served this to about 20 people. Not being able to eat flour, I fixed myself a steak. I did take one bite (only to be polite) and it was really good so…I kept it in the back of my mind thinking I might try it with Carbalose flour and heavy cream. I have enhanced it with vegetables.
All my Carbalose Recipes are listed at the bottom of the Carbalose Informational Page.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Lb Ground Pork Sausage
- 8 Oz Sautéed Mushrooms
- ½ Julienned Red Pepper
- 8 Oz Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ C Butter (Olive Oil)
- ¼ t Salt
- ¼ t Pepper
- 1 C Carbalose Flour
- ¾ C Heavy Cream
- ½ C Water
- 2 Eggs
- ½ t Salt
- 2 Drops Liquid Sucralose
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Barely sauté sausage and scatter into 8”x8” glass baking dish leaving any fat in pan.
- Add red peppers, sauté until soft, scatter over sausage, again, leaving any fat in pan.
- Add butter and sauté mushrooms, scatter over peppers, adding any leftover fat.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Sprinkle in cheese.
- In medium bowl add all batter ingredients and beat until smooth. (I use my stick blender)
- Gently pour over mixture.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until batter is set.
- Let rest 10 minutes and serve.
- 6 Servings
- 731 Calories, 30.3g Protein, 49.1g Fat, 9.4g Carbs, 5.5g Fiber, 4.9g Net Carbs
- You can also use a glass pie pan which of course cuts easily into 6 wedges...or 4 wedges for a larger portion.
- If you want it really gooey use full fat mozzarella cheese or mix the cheeses however you like.
- The addition of green onions might also be good.