Low Carb Bulgogi. Bulgogi is a rather sweet & spicy Korean dish and a favorite among restaurant goers. The good news is you can have it both low carb and sweet. It is fried in a blitzing hot pan and perfect for cast iron either in the kitchen or on the grill. It is prepped quickly and cooked very quickly so is ideal for the busy cook. Bulgogi is often referred to as a Korean BBQ but to my mind it is not. The meat used should be a high quality nearly slivered, if not shaved steak and I hope you can see the slicing I did in the picture. It’s less than ⅛” thick which is perfect. Now don’t attempt to cut any thawed steak as it WILL NOT WORK. In order to slice meat thinly, it needs to be almost frozen and after slicing let it come to room temperature, especially for low carb bulgogi since you will be frying it very quickly. The idea is to still have crunchy veggies when you are finished cooking it.
I have included vegetables into mine and I used top of the line meat with Beef Tenderloin. To make this low carb bulgogi more or less spicy, use more or less chili garlic sauce which I neglected to include in the picture as I though garlic and red pepper flakes would be enough. Oops, wrong.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1-1¼ Lb Beef Tenderloin Or Other Quality Steak Meat Very Thinly Sliced (Nearly Shaved)
- 1 Medium Red Pepper Thinly Sliced (Cut Into 1½” Bite Size Pieces)
- 1 Small Onion Thinly Sliced (Julienned)
- ⅓ C Just Like Sugar Brown***
- 1 T Crushed Garlic
- ¼ C Tamari Sauce
- 2 T Water
- 2 T Olive Oil (Divided)
- 1 t Powdered Ginger
- 1 T Chili Garlic Paste
- ½ t Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ C Green Onion Tops Cut Into 1” Pieces
- ¼ C Thinly Sliced Green Onion Tops (Garnish)
- 1 T Sesame Seeds (Garnish)
- Combine all ingredients (except garnish & 1 T olive oil) into a medium bowl, mix thoroughly, and allow to sit on counter for at least 1 hour and longer if wanted, tossing occasionally. You want it all at room temperature.
- Drain well, reserving liquid.
- Heat large pan to hot, drizzling in a bit of olive oil, and add about ¼-⅓ of mix. Fry each batch very quickly, reserve, bring pan back to hot, and add next batch until finished.
- Add back drained juices and cooking very quickly, bring to temperature and pour over meat.
- Serve immediately.
- 4 Servings
- 451 Calories, 30.4g Protein, 33.3g Fat, 7.0g Carbs, 2.1g Fiber, 4.9g Net Carbs
- You will need to do this in batches about ¼-⅓ at a time as the idea is to cook it very quickly in a blazing hot pan.
- If possible have your butcher cut your meat for you.
- Serve on a large platter with green onions and sesame seeds on top for a communal affair.