Low Carb Bordelaise Sauce. You’re going to look at the ingredients in this recipe and think to yourself, Deborah has seriously flipped her lid on this one. Heavy cream & white wine DO NOT a dark gravy make, because those in the know, know that a Bordelaise is made with a red wine and beef stock. But um, as you can see this is not a truism set in stone. Look at the picture carefully because that gravy is as dark as anything you could want. The secret is…the paprika. Now you say, will that would make it red but nope it doesn’t, it makes it brown. One can only hope the pictures say it all. A small filet mignon which is the steak under the sauce is normally used but any good quality steak cut will serve you well. If you think this sounds good you might try it on a Chicken Fried Steak because yes, it is that good.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 4- 6 Oz Good Quality Steaks (Yes, I Did Use Filets But Any Good Quality 6 Oz. Steak Will Work))
- ½ Lb Sliced Button Mushrooms
- 3 T Butter Divided
- ¼ C White Wine
- ⅔ C Heavy Cream
- ⅔ C Water
- 1 T + 1 t Paprika
- 1½ t Chicken Base
- ½ t Thyme
- ¼ t Pepper
- Add mushrooms to 2 T butter, sauté lightly, add wine, reduce until almost gone, and set aside.
- Add rest of ingredients mixing well and reduce slightly.
- Add mushrooms back in.
- Meanwhile in another pan, heat 1 T butter to brown and sauté steaks to desired doneness.
- Plate steak and sauce.
- 4 Servings-Using Button Mushrooms
- 279 Calories, 1.6g Protein, 25.4g Fat, 2.6g Carbs, 1.4g Fiber, 1.2g Net Carbs
- 4 Servings-Using Shiitake Mushrooms
- 288 Calories, 1.2 Protein, 25.4g Fat, 8.7 Carbs, 2.3g Fiber, 6.4g Net Carb
- Steak not included in nutritionals, it's just the sauce.
- I originally used Shiitake mushrooms but they are so high in carbs I have changed the recipe to reflect using button mushrooms. If you want to use the Shiitakes then please do so and I have given the nutritionals for both.
- If you thicken your sauce a bit too much just add a little more water.