Low Carb Baked Cabbage Steaks. There are just days I like messing around in the kitchen dabbling with this and that. I was standing there staring at a cabbage thinking I might make some Cheesy Creamed Cabbage & Bacon when this came to mind and I’m saying why not. We all know what a good beef steak is but Baked Cabbage Steaks? I love coming up with new descriptions of food and it comes from my restaurant background. It is always a challenge to name menu items or daily specials and for me it’s fun (and I am definitely all about fun).
These are easy and the ingredients can be made ahead with the final assembly later just before popping them into the oven. Since tasty cabbage recipes are such a sought after low carb item this will fill the bill nicely.
If your cabbage is large enough the recipe should easily feed 8-10 people but choose the size most appropriate for your family. These are so good some people may want seconds and leftovers?…no problem. Pictured was a very small cabbage making 6 servings. Looking at two of the pictures reminds me a little of the old game Ms Pac-Man.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 Large Head Cabbage
- 2 T Olive Oil
- ⅔ C Mayonnaise
- ¼ t Dried Oregano
- ¼ t Dried Basil
- ¼ t Garlic Salt
- ¼ t Pepper
- ¼ t McCormick Italian Grinder
- ⅛ t Celery Salt
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Slice cabbage into six ¾" steaks.
- Wedge out the core of the two center steaks.
- Drizzle oil on a foil lined sheet pan and put down steaks.
- Mix all remaining ingredients.
- Evenly blob mayo in center of each steak and smear completely over the top. More on the larger steaks and less on the smaller ones.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until well browned on the top.
- The larger steaks can easily be cut in half to serve two people.
- 6 Servings
- 250 Calories, 3.2g Protein, 11.6g Carbs, 4.8g Fiber, 6.8g Net Carbs
- 8 Servings
- 187 Calories, 2.4g Protein, 8.8g Carbs, 3.6g Fiber, 5.1g Net Carbs
- 10 Servings
- 150 Calories, 1.9g Protein, 7.1g Carbs, 2.9g Fiber, 4.4g Net Carbs
- As I said the two large center steaks can be cut in half to make 4 servings.