Low Carb Bacon Jam. Kind of congers up some kind of sweet stuff you put on toast which is certainly something you can do but its highest and best use is as a condiment. It will accompany almost any meat or vegetable and is fabulous on a baked brie cheese wheel. In the old days (before diabetes) I would wrap a brie wheel in puff pastry and today it seems kinda stupid. This is so good why would you need the addition of puff pastry…with anything?
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- ¾ Lb Bacon
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- ⅓ C Coffee
- 1-2 T Just Like Sugar Brown
- ¼ C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 t Crushed Garlic
- 1 t Liquid Smoke
- Cut bacon into1" pieces and gently fry until beginning to crisp. In this case you do not really need super crispy bacon. Leaving grease in pan, set bacon aside. You can certainly leave all the grease in this jam (I do) but if you wish, drain some of the grease leaving 2-3T in pan.
- Chop onion to about ¾-1" pieces and caramelized slowly in bacon grease. It doesn't matter the size as they will be pulsed later in your processor.
- Add back bacon and rest of ingredients and slowly simmer until thick and jam-like. It will also thicken as it cools.
- Let cool and pulse in processor. This is suppose to be a little chunky-not a smooth paste so use your own judgement as to how much chunkiness you want.
- 8 Servings
- 198 Calories, 4.9g Protein, 19.1g Fat, 1.7g Carbs .3g Fiber 1.4g Net Carbs
- A little secret. If you decide to put it atop brie you don't need to bake it. Just pop it in the microwave until the cheese begins to melt and it will not take long.
- Fabulous over cream cheese or just eaten with a spoon.
- Recipe makes about 1½ cups or about 3 T per person. Trust me this stuff is so rich and fatty you'll be hard pressed to eat this much at one time.
- I can think of 8 different ways and tastes to make this and I hope you can come up with your own favorite flavors. I may put up a couple of them over the next several months.
- Personally I'm not sure this needs any Just Like Sugar so please taste before adding any.