Low Carb Asian Beef Eggplant Zucchini Stew. Now you can call this a stew or you can call this a soup but whatever you call it, it is good, hearty, and healthy. Depending on how you spice this you can eat in Italy, Japan, Thailand, China and yes even in America.
I personally like the flavors of Asia so that is what we are doing here and if this is successful, I may post the same recipe using different spices and adding other ingredients. This is very easy to make assuming you have the spices and get yourself some mung bean sprouts. Yes, I garnished mine with a few enoki mushrooms but it is absolutely not necessary. If you decide to use them they take about 15-20 seconds in a tiny amount of steaming water to cook. I added some fried garlic and green onions in olive oil to the enokis I had left over and they were terrific with a rather sweetish flavor.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am not sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use***
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 2 C Small Dice Daikon Radish
- 2 C Cooked Mung Bean Sprouts
- 1 C Sautéed Medium Globe Eggplant
- 1 C Sautéed Zucchini
- 1 C Sautéed Mushrooms
- ½ Lb Very Thinly Sliced Good Quality Beef
- 6 T Olive Oil (Divided)
- 5-6 C Water (+ More If Wanted/Needed)
- ½ C Tamari Sauce
- Beef Base
- 2 t Crushed Garlic***
- 1 t Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 t Powdered Ginger
- ¼ t Dried Chili Flakes
- ½ C Minced Green Onion Tops (Garnish)
- ½ C Cilantro (Garnish)
- Fish Sauce (Garnish)
- Enoki Mushrooms (Optional Garnish)
- Put water and beef base to taste in saucepan-add tamari. If using beef broth just add tamari.
- Add diced daikon radish to broth, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Drain radish, retaining broth and put radish into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add sprouts to broth, simmer 5-7 minutes, drain, & add to radish.
- Add crushed garlic, chili garlic sauce, ginger and dried chili flakes to broth. Add more water as some will have evaporated and keep on simmer. Jack up the heat when ready to serve.
- Individually sauté eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms in olive oil and as each is finished add to rest of ingredients.
- Slice beef as thinly as possible. (I used flat iron steak).
- Gently fold all ingredients in mixing bowl, divide, and add to serving bowls.
- Lay raw steak slices on top of veggies and pour piping hot broth over all. The steak will cook as the hot liquid hits it.
- Sprinkle with green onions, garnish with cilantro and enokis (if using).
- Put the bottle of fish sauce on the table for individual use.
- Serve In A Large Bowl
- 6 Servings
- 253 Calories, 9.1g Protein, 21.3g Fat, 7.1g Carbs, 3.0g Fiber, 4.1g Net Carbs
- This makes a large bowl of stew and what you see was my meal.
- Nutritionals include everything but the enoki mushrooms garnish.