Keto Yellow Squash Soup. Only in your dreams could you imagine such a delicious soup that is this easy. Throughout the summer I eat yellow squash in all kinds of ways and this is just yet another. It is light and can be served cool, warmed or hot. If served cool it is perfect for an outdoors picnic and it is filling because of the high fat content. You will see ground pepper in the recipe but I actually prefer Aleppo pepper for many reasons, not the least of which because of its beautiful dark red color and if you ever get an opportunity to buy it-DO. It is that good and available in any Middle Eastern grocery. Here in Portland, Oregon it is available in bulk so I can buy a pound anytime I want to. Only use Amazon as a last, last, last resort. They have a 2 oz. package for something like $10-$12 which is ridiculous. So, if you want a terrific soup to eat in each season of the year, this keto yellow squash soup is for you.
For a list of products you may not be familiar with and used on this site, please read Low Carb Pantry Essentials. I am NOT sponsor-compensated for recommending a product that I use*** And here, in one tidy package, are over 550 Keto~Paleo~Low Carb~Diabetic Chef’s Recipes
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1½ Lbs Roughly Chopped Yellow Squash
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 T Butter
- ¼ C Lemon Juice
- 1½ T Chicken Base***
- 4 C Water
- 1½ C Heavy Cream
- 8 T Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- Add butter to a medium low pan and sweat onions until softened.
- Add chopped squash, chicken base and water to onions and simmer until soft or about 15-18 minutes.
- Take off heat and with a stick blender whir until you get the texture you want. My opinion is not to make it totally smooth but to leave a small bit of chunkiness to it.
- Stir in heavy cream and bring back to temperature if serving hot-otherwise taste, correct seasoning and it's ready to go.
- Add soup to bowl, drizzle with olive oil and freshly ground pepper.
- 8 Servings
- 334 Calories, 1.2g Protein, 33.6g Fat, 4.8g Carbs, 1.2g Fiber, 3.6g Net Carbs
- Very good with a dollop of sour cream or cremè fraiche and if you are serving company a thin slice of lemon floating on the top is quite pretty.