I was recently on vacation in my beloved Colorado and the question came up-had I ever had a 50/50 burger? I said no and ask what it was. The answer: 50% ground hamburger and 50% ground bacon. Oh wow, a burger after my own heart. When I got home I read some reviews on Yelp and though everyone pretty much loves the burgers what they were really raving about the Vampire Dip. I got on the internet to try to find a recipe. I found it several places and took a little from one place and a little from another, added my own take, and this is the recipe I came up with and good grief it is pathetically fabulous.
This is good with low carb veggies and snow peas are very good however, to be authentic to the way the restaurant serves it (with bread and pita chips) you could serve it with toasted Carbalose Flour Bread or Carbalose Flour Tortillas made into chips. I tried it with both and I also think Sour Cream & Chive Crackers could be yet another delivery device.
When you eat this divine stuff make sure everyone around you is eating it too cause we all know what garlic can do to us. This is definitely a misery loves company strategy. Oh yeah, and don’t be surprised if/when you eat more than ¼ cup.
**When you bake this, inevitably there will be fat that comes to the top. If you notice in the picture above it is baked in a bread bowl and this fat would go unseen into the bread…so don’t sweat the fat-it’s good for you.
This is a plug for the best Mozzarella cheese that I have ever tasted. Unfortunately It is not available in the Pacific Northwest but those of you in the East and Northeast can get it. It is now owned by Kraft and I am hoping they have not changed it since I last had it.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1 C Mayonnaise (A Little Deviation Here)
- 8 Oz Softened Cream Cheese
- 2 C Parmesan Cheese
- 1 C Gruyere Cheese (Another Deviation)
- 1 C Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 T+1 t Crushed Garlic (More If You Want)
- 1 Cn Drained & Chopped Artichoke Hearts (In Water-Not Marinated)
- 1 t Pepper
- ½ t Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl beat the mayo, cream cheese, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Fold in rest of ingredients.
- Put into a lightly buttered 8”x8” baking dish, cover and bake 20 minutes, uncover and bake 10 additional minutes.
- 20 Servings-¼ Cup
- 179 Calories, 7.0g Protein, 1.5g Carbs, .4 Fiber, 1.1g Carbs
- One of the things I do not like is broken/curdled cheese so this is what I do. I microwave the dip on defrost until it is warm and then pop it is the oven and oh my, what oozy gooey goodness.