Low Carb Pork Schnitzel. I know I have talked about using Pork Dust a LOT but It is my opinion it is one the most under-used ingredient in a low carb pantry. As low carbers we cannot use bread crumbs or flour in much of any fashion but this zero carb item is an absolute must if you want to do a lot of (successfully) fried foods. The side dish is Spaetzle which is the natural companion to making this a complete German dinner. It would also be really good with Cheesy Creamed Cabbage & Bacon. Whew, this is a seriously restaurant worthy meal. Crispy, and moist and you will probably want more. The third picture with the pork dust breading was a different time I prepared it and notice I got a little bigger pork medallions. Live and learn.
This recipe is the epitome of LCHF and what it means to eat healthy low carb high fat food.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- 1-1¼” Lbs Pork Loin Medallions Cut ¼”-½" Thick (You Should End Up With 8 Discs -Ask Your Butcher For Help)
- ¼ C White Wine
- ½ Lb Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 T Butter
- ¼ C Oil Of Choice (I Used Duck Fat And Any Good Oil Would Work)
- ⅔ C Heavy Cream
- ⅔ C Water
- 1 T + 1 t Paprika
- 1½ t Chicken Base
- ¼ t Thyme
- ¼ t Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 1½-2 C Pork Dust
- Pound pork medallions to about ⅛” thick. Dredge well in pork dust and set aside until ready to fry.
- Gently Sauté Shiitake Mushrooms in butter. When finished, add wine and allow to soak a bit into the mushrooms & set aside.
- Put heavy cream, water, paprika, chicken base, thyme and pepper in sauce pan and begin to slowly reduce. Add mushrooms to gravy just to heat. Remember, if you reduced your gravy a little too much just add a bit more water.
- In a large saucepan add oil and heat to medium high. Add medallions and fry until crispy, and turn. At this point you will probably only be able to do ½ of them so repeat for second. They will not take long to cook if you do them in hot enough oil.
- Plate medallions and divide gravy equally.
- 4 Servings
- 718 Calories, 39.8g Protein, 56.2g Fat, 8.9g Carbs, 2.3g Fiber, 6.3g Net Carbs