Low Carb Mint Sauce. I think probably just about everyone has had the (not so fabulous anymore) Cross & Blackwell Mint Jelly at some point or another and my Mint Sauce is a terrific facsimile. No, it is not bright (fake) green and smooth like C&B and it isn’t made with mint “flavored” “apple jelly” but taste wise, it is pretty close. If you decide to use fresh mint (spearmint) then you will use about 3-4x the dried mint listed below in the recipe. I have newly found a fabulous source for dried mint from a Middle Eastern market here in Portland and of course if you have access then by all means get it. Until making my Mid East market find, I used Spice Hunter very successfully but this new mint is not only greener, it is also more finely ground, thus more Surface Area, thus more intense flavor. The picture to the left is the new mint and in the 2nd picture I was using my old mint. The chops were served with Lemon Thyme Cauliflower Quinoa and also pair quite well with Cauliflower Tabbouleh (not pictured).
This recipe couldn’t be any more simple & should be ready in about 5-6 minutes start to finish. It can also be made more or less sweet according to your taste buds.
Confession: I cut my chops with a knife & fork BUT…I use a spoon to dip each bite into the mint sauce, eating all of it and yes…it’s that good.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- ½ C Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ C Distilled Vinegar
- ¼ C Water
- 3-4 T Dried (Spear) Mint Leaves
- ¼ C Just Like Sugar Baking or 5-6 Drops Liquid Sucralose (Depending On Degree Of Sweetness Desired)
- ⅛ t Combined Guar Gum & Xanthan Gum (I Mixed Mine 50/50 Long Ago)
- 6 Servings
- 3 Calories, 0.0g Protein, 0.0g Fat, .7g Carbs, 0.0g Fiber, .7g Net Carbs
- Combine all ingredients, bring to simmer, take off heat, and quickly whisk in gums. It will thicken as it sits.
- Sadly, Cross & Blackwell is now owned by Smuckers. Carbs? 13g per T.
- Check out my nutritionals. The tiny amount of carbs? They come from the mint and that's for over 2½ T. Pretty cool huh?
- Refrigerated mint sauce will far outlive your ability to not eat it.