Low Carb Chipotle Mayonnaise. Yeah, Yeah, I know there are several recipes similar to this low carb chipotle mayo & after reading the ingredients list I hope you will think it sounds good enough to make. I love this stuff as it is good on/with so many things and certainly a requirement for Bacon Wrapped Mean Dogs. It can be used as a vegetable dip and is especially good with fried pork skins. There is no mayonnaise only sour cream and actually, I used Crème Fraîche in mine. I like that smooth special twang it gives. Many years ago at a food show in Seattle, there was this new product being sampled called Chipotle Mayo and was available by the gallon to restaurants. I thought it was so good that I designed a pulled pork sandwich around using it and gads, people loved it. There was also a restaurant in Everett, WA called Alligator Soul and they also served this same chipotle mayo with many of their dishes. Turns out it was the restaurant’s recipe licensed and being sold to other restaurants. At the time I had never had anything so tasty and have been chasing the recipe ever since (and that’s another story). To the right is a picture of a small still unopened jar I have that is probably at least 9-10 years old. Hard to believe I still have that jar today and of course it would be totally inedible. The restaurant closed in 2010 but I listened to a lot of live zydeco music and ate a lot of good Cajun “soul food” there before it did.
As I am a Type II diabetic, all recipes on this website are low carb and diabetic friendly.
- ¾ C Sour Cream (I Used Crème Fraîche)
- 1-2 T Chipotle Peppers In Adobo (Depending On Hotness Desired & I Used 2)
- 2 T Finely Chopped Cilantro
- 1 T Lime Juice
- ½ t Crushed Garlic
- ¼ t Liquid Smoke
- 1-2 Drops Liquid Splenda (Optional)
- Macerate chipotle peppers.
- Add rest of ingredients, mix well, and refrigerate.
- Will be thin and will tighten a bit in the fridge.
- 4 Servings
- 165 Calories, .1g Protein, 18.1g Fat, .6g Carbs, .0g Fiber, .6g Net Carbs
- Splenda not only gives it a kiss of sweetness, but also rounds out the flavor. It is not necessary and yes, I did use it. Use 1 drop to start and another if you think it needs it.
- As I said I used crème fraîche to make mine and sour cream would have a bit more carbs.
- With the addition of crumbled bacon this makes a great salad dressing.
- Also terrific on pulled pork.